Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Minnesota Trailer Laws?

  1. #1
    Fourth Gear marks_lude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    .5s behind Teddy
    Posts
    2,208

    Minnesota Trailer Laws?

    I plan on doin the typical modified harbor freight trailer to move my autoX rubber. I was wondering if anyone does this, and if so, whats the laws around here as far as staying legal? do I need a plate for it and working lights? I have a wiring kit on my car to plug into lights, but I don't think the harbor freight trailer comes with lights.
    Last edited by marks_lude; 03-19-2008 at 07:38 AM.
    --------- Matt Marks -------- 32 STR ---------

  2. #2
    0100111001101111
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    out to lunch
    Posts
    1,221
    Quote Originally Posted by marks_lude View Post
    I plan on doin the typical modified harbor freight trailer to move my autoX rubber. I was wondering if anyone does this, and if so, whats the laws around here as far as staying legal? do I need a plate for it and working lights? I have a wiring kit on my car to plug into lights, but I don't think the harbor freight trailer comes with lights.
    When you get it registered, it'll be a lifetime "license". My HF trailer was around $80. They'll give you a sticker to put on the tongue of the trailer.
    My previous HF trailer came with lights. But I seem to remember that if your car's tail lights are visible, you don't need trailer lights. Might be worth browsing the MN state laws.

    edit: Looks like you need them according to section 169.50
    Last edited by Ivan; 03-19-2008 at 08:09 AM.

  3. #3
    Fourth Gear marks_lude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    .5s behind Teddy
    Posts
    2,208
    I was wrong about the lights, it does come with them.

    so that should be fine.

    I didnt realize it was more money to register it haha... I've never actually owned one before. everything I've towed has been a uhaul or something of that nature where someone else takes care of all the dirty work.
    --------- Matt Marks -------- 32 STR ---------

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
    When you get it registered, it'll be a lifetime "license". My HF trailer was around $80. They'll give you a sticker to put on the tongue of the trailer.
    Call me old-fashioned, but I liked it better when there was a license plate on the trailer, and I bet the police did, too. When you are following a rig with no licence plate on the trailer, you can't see the license plate on the car, either, so there is no identification visible.
    Phil Ethier West Side Saint Paul Minnesota USA
    1973 Triumph Stag LE22439UBW "uncle jack", Sapphire Blue
    2004 Suburban 8.1, Sport Red, the only automatic of the bunch
    2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl
    2005 Subaru Legacy GT Limited, Regal Blue Pearl
    pethier [at] comcast [dot] net
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pethier
    http://www.mnautox.com
    http://www.mntriumphs.org
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/triumphtransamerica

  5. #5
    0100111001101111
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    out to lunch
    Posts
    1,221
    Quote Originally Posted by phile View Post
    Call me old-fashioned, but I liked it better when there was a license plate on the trailer, and I bet the police did, too. When you are following a rig with no licence plate on the trailer, you can't see the license plate on the car, either, so there is no identification visible.
    The DMV actually issued me a sticker for the single-axle car hauler, since the total weight was under 3000lbs (barely). Was always worried that I'd get pulled over for that. The sticker makes it harder to use on different trailers... but's that nothing a heat gun doesn't fix. Not that I've ever done that

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by phile View Post
    Call me old-fashioned, but I liked it better when there was a license plate on the trailer, and I bet the police did, too. When you are following a rig with no licence plate on the trailer, you can't see the license plate on the car, either, so there is no identification visible.
    You're old fashioned.

    Sorry, no one else stepped up.

    I like the stickers a lot better. I used to lose the plate off of my car trailer about once a year. It was so low that it would drag on the ground and pull the plate off.

    I don't think the cops care. If you pull someone over you run the plate on the car for id not the plate on the trailer. There's no guarantee that the trailer belongs to the car driver or for that matter that the plate even belongs to the trailer. My neighbors were notorious for swapping one plate amongst a bunch of different trailers to avoid registering them.

    The stickers make it tougher to cheat on registration by borrowing or stealing a plate. It also helps a little in preventing trailer theft by providing a somewhat more secure ID. You can't take the plate off a legal trailer and stick it on a stolen one.

  7. #7
    I like the new stickers for the small trailers but people can still swap between trailers if the sticker is on a removable plate.

  8. #8
    I have a HF trailer I'm trying to get rid of for $150. Not sure if the license is transferable but it currently has one. Lights work, has plywood on it. Probably less then 200 miles on it and it was stored in a garage.

    Let me know if you're interested.
    Christopher
    06 Evo IX RS

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by CDeutsch View Post
    I have a HF trailer I'm trying to get rid of for $150. Not sure if the license is transferable but it currently has one. Lights work, has plywood on it. Probably less then 200 miles on it and it was stored in a garage.

    Let me know if you're interested.
    I'll take it Chris... Thanks for the heads up Jones...
    1990 BMW 325i e30
    1976 BMW 2002
    Wrolson Wracing

    Phile "Like a Lotus, a good 914 can make you happy to be alive. A bad one can make you regret that cars were ever invented."
    -- Larry "sort of a 100-footer" B.

  10. #10
    Fourth Gear marks_lude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    .5s behind Teddy
    Posts
    2,208
    Quote Originally Posted by CDeutsch View Post
    I have a HF trailer I'm trying to get rid of for $150. Not sure if the license is transferable but it currently has one. Lights work, has plywood on it. Probably less then 200 miles on it and it was stored in a garage.

    Let me know if you're interested.
    Im def interested, looks like i was second to reply tho...
    --------- Matt Marks -------- 32 STR ---------

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •