Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Miata "baby teeth" removal

Miata "baby teeth" removal

I'd like to remove the "baby teeth" tie down things from the grille of my '94 Miata. (They're kinda rusty and look like crap.) However, I'd like to run the car in E-stock (locally only, I have no plans to ever do Nationals), and I understand that doing this would be against the rules for that class.

Here's the thing, though: I'm still very new to auto-x and thus far pretty terrible at it, so I can't imagine that the few pounds of weight savings would help me at all. So here's my question to the rules gurus: is anybody going to have a problem with me running in E-stock with no "baby teeth" on my Miata?

Nate

"technically' it's not legal, but local you may not have any issues (check with the others in your class at an upcoming event), though keep in mind you could still be protest bait... You could always paint them and put them back on...
    John Mensch

2011 Driver of the Year.
    Proud recipient of the 2008 Paul Weidner "Spirit of the Sport" award.
    Founder of F.rugal R.acing E.nterprises. (FRE) "It's not F.R.E.E., but it's close....."

Quote section;
    Resentment: It's like taking poison and waiting for the other person to die...
    "If there is no plan, what can go wrong!" - Some Clown
    "I like to think of myself as thrifty, cheap sounds so.......cheap." - Same Clown
    To quote a wise man I once knew; "If you can't have a little fun what good are you?"

The generally accepted approach for such requests would be to talk with any affected competitors. In your case, that could include drivers in BS, CS, DS, ES and FS, as we currently have few ES drivers (or ANY Stock drivers not running in Street Tire Index, for that matter), and ES is invariably bumped to CS or BS.

One thing to keep in mind - if you remove the front tow hooks, be REALLY careful if you ever need to have your car towed. There aren't many places on the front of a Miata that I'd want a tow truck operator to winch from. If it's the rust that's bothering you, just take off the hooks and properly paint them or have them powdercoated.
    "If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know how amazing you can be." -Maya Angelou

Rules violations wind up being a slippery slope. If you're not competitive, run the proper upgraded non-stock class. Because if you beat anyone, then bad blood can start breeding. It doesn't end.

When do you stop?

yup.....if you take them off and in 2-3 events start challenging for a position....you WILL be asked to put them back on,and its an un-comfortable position for you and your competition
    Clean them up and paint them.....they're still an eye-sore but thats it
    2007 FJ Cruiser
    2012 Fiat 500 sport
    lotsa bicycles
    "Does anyone like dill flavored doughnuts?"

Fair enough. I guess they'll stay on for now.

Those ARE NOT "tow" hooks.

They are made to TIE THE CAR DOWN during shipping, not to pull the car with, at all. Most dealers are lazy, and do not remove them, so they wind up being "tow hooks" to people.

If you see how they are made, it makes perfect sense. Stock "teeth" are designed to take a pulling load down, not forward.

There is a reason there is a large aftermarket for actual tow hooks. Take a look at a SPEC miata, and you will see what I mean. They look totally different.

Removing these for stock class should be non-issue, IMHO.
    Last edited by Palmer; 06-22-2010 at 11:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
    Removing these for stock class should be non-issue, IMHO.
    And when you write the SCCA rules, then your opinion will count.
    I say that a little "tongue-in-cheek" but if anyone plays golf, you know how this goes. People say, "Oh it only moved an inch."

Then you get the guys who use the "foot wedge" to improve their lie and don't count a "chili dip" as two strokes.

Do you want to be above reproach in the eyes of the club? Or do you want to be the guy who is selfish to the point where his own vanity is more important than the feelings of others.

Because nobody is saying not to do it. We're just saying do it and take the class penalty if it really "doesn't matter" to you.

You can't have it both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
    Those ARE NOT "tow" hooks.

They are made to TIE THE CAR DOWN during shipping, not to pull the car with, at all. Most dealers are lazy, and do not remove them,
    So if the dealer does remove them do you have to put them on to be legal?

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    And when you write the SCCA rules, then your opinion will count.
    Wow
    Last edited by AQuimby; 06-22-2010 at 11:29 PM.
    "Quitting or giving up is the only thing in the world that doesnt take any talent!"

Did you read the following line?